We are dedicated to serving our citizens in a professional, efficient, and courteous manner, being sensitive to their needs with a commitment to exceeding their expectations. We welcome your inquiries and stand ready to assist you in any way possible.
Responsibilities & Duties
The legal authority for the Treasurer's duties and responsibilities is governed by the Constitution of Virginia, the Code of Virginia, Local Ordinances and charter provisions, case law, court decisions, and opinions of the Attorney General.
- Billing and collection of current real estate and personal property taxes - Real estate taxes are billed in two halves. Current personal property taxes are billed annually.
- Business Licenses
- Dog/Cat Tags
- Food and Beverage (Meals)
- Transient Occupancy (Lodging)
- The Billing and collection of Delinquent Real Estate and Personal Property taxes. Delinquent billings are prepared and mailed twice a year.
- Pursuit of all other delinquent debt owed to the City of Salem.
- State Income Tax
This office is audited each year by both an outside auditing firm for the City and by the Auditor of Public Accounts for the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Treasurer's Office continues to maintain an average collection rate of better than 98% on delinquent taxes.