After pausing for the pandemic in 2020, the City of Salem Parks & Recreation Department is all set to host the 69th Ernest “Pig” Robertson Fishing Rodeo at Lake Spring Park, located at the corner of West Main and Green Street. The 2021 version will have specific time slots for various age groups spread out over two weekends this spring. In addition, both the special needs and nursing home fishing days will not happen this year due to the recommendations of those respective groups.
Children Ages 3-4 Saturday, April 24 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.
Children Ages 5-6 Saturday, April 24 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Children Ages 7-8 Saturday, April 24 11 a.m. – Noon
Children Ages 9-10 Saturday, May 1 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.
Children Ages 11-12 Saturday, May 1 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
2021 FISHING RODEO GUIDELINES
- Face masks are REQUIRED
- All participants must MAINTAIN social distancing, when possible
- There is a 6-fish LIMIT per child
- Please CHECK-OUT at the tent once the 6-fish limit is reached
- Kids may ONLY fish in their respective age group
- Parents can assist, but the children SHOULD do the fishing
- Artificial bait is NOT allowed
- TROPHIES will be awarded to the top finishers in each age group
The Salem Kiwanis Club is once again sponsoring this year’s rodeo which is free for area children. Many businesses in the community also have donated prizes and money to help make this event such a success in past years. The top angler will receive a trophy and prizes will be awarded to young boys and girls throughout each day.
For additional information, please call the Salem Parks and Recreation Department at 375-3057.