Multiple nights of paving on Interstate 81 in Roanoke County near Salem will impact drivers with nighttime lane closures and detours starting Sunday, Oct. 29. This work is weather dependent. Drivers should expect delays and pay attention to message boards.
As part of the ongoing I-81 widening project, contractor crews will be paving at mile marker 138. Paving will impact northbound traffic for two nights and southbound traffic for two nights.
Paving on northbound I-81 is scheduled for Sunday, Oct. 29 and Monday, Oct. 30. Drivers should be aware of the following impacts each night:
- A single lane closure is planned on northbound I-81 from 8 p.m. until 10 p.m.
- From 10 p.m. until 5 a.m., northbound I-81 will be closed, and traffic will be detoured at exit 137 (Salem) onto Wildwood Road and West Main Street.
- Drivers should follow signs and message boards to return to northbound I-81.
- The ramp onto northbound I-81 at exit 137 (Salem) will also be closed.
Paving on southbound I-81 is scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 31 and Wednesday, Nov. 1. Drivers should be aware of the following each night:
- A single lane closure on southbound I-81 is planned from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- From 10 p.m. until 5 a.m., southbound I-81 will be closed, and traffic will be detoured at exit 141 (Salem) onto Route 419.
- Drivers should follow signs and message boards to return to southbound I-81.
- During the closure, the ramps on and off southbound I-81 at exit 140 and the ramp onto southbound I-81 at exit 141 will be closed.
- Drivers heading to Route 311 from I-81 will need to use exit 141 onto Route 419 and then turn right onto East Main Street to turn right on Kessler Mill Road.