CITY ENGINEER: William L. Simpson, Jr., P.E.
The Engineering Department is responsible for management of engineering and construction projects throughout the City. Other responsibilities:
- Erosion and Sediment Control Administration and Inspection
- Construction Inspection
- City Mapping, GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and GPS (Global Positioning Systems)
- Engineering Design
- Site Plan Review
- Water and Sewer Line Location
- Stormwater and MS4 Program Administration
- Road and Bridge Maintenance
NOTE: Contractors must have a valid business license in order to obtain a permit. Please visit the City of Salem Commissioner of the Revenue site for business license requirements or call (540) 375-3019.
NOTE: Right-Of-Way permit must be obtained before performing ANY work within existing City of Salem Right-Of-Way. The permit application can be found here.
The City of Salem is responsible for maintaining all the roads within the city limits. Annually, all roads are analyzed, evaluated and assigned a condition rating. Based on these ratings, streets are prioritized and a maintenance schedule is generated. Work is generally performed in the Spring and Summer months.