1. How Do I?
  2. Business
  3. Government
  4. Residents
  5. Departments
    1. Animal Shelter
    2. Commissioner of the Revenue
    3. Commonwealth Attorney
    4. Communications Office
    5. Community Development
    6. Economic Development
    7. Electric
    8. Finance
    9. Human Resources
    10. Parks and Recreation
    11. Police
    12. Real Estate
    13. Registrar's Office
    14. Rescue Squad
    15. Salem Fire-EMS
    16. Salem Public Library
    17. Sheriff's Office
    18. Street & General Maintenance
    19. Technology Systems
    20. Treasurer's Office
    21. Water & Sewer Dept
  6. Tourism
  7. Downtown
  8. Report a Problem
MAIN OFFICE PHONE:  (540) 375-3032|E-MAIL:
HOURS:  M-F 8am-5pm |LOCATION:  21 South Bruffey Street, Salem, VA 24153


MAIN OFFICE PHONE:  (540) 375-3032|E-MAIL:
HOURS:  M-F 8am-5pm |LOCATION:  21 South Bruffey Street, Salem, VA 24153


Complete this form to request a City of Salem driveway / curb cut permit when modifying an existing driveway or requesting an additional driveway.  Please contact Community Development prior to starting any work.

Driveway Cut Permit



Right of Way Permit is required for any work done within City of Salem Right of Way.  Once application is approved and payment has been submitted, the permit will be issued and work may begin.  In addition to obtaining the Right of Way Permit, please notify Community Development 48 hours in advance of any lane or roadway closures.  

Right of Way Permit

ROW Restoration Standards



Road Closure Permits are required to temporarily close any City of Salem street.  Any applicant wanting to close a City of Salem street for the specific purpose of completion of a project or a special event must file the application at least one week prior to the actual date of closure.  The approval and duration of the closure will be at the discretion of the City of Salem.  In the case of an emergency road closure, please contact Community Development.

Road Closure Permit - Construction

Road Closure Permit - Event



An Erosion and Sediment Control Plan and Land Disturbing Permit are required for any site development over 5,000 square feet.  Please contact Community Development for E&S plan requirements and permit application.  Residential single family construction less than 5,000 square feet disturbed area may submit an Agreement in Lieu of Erosion and Sediment Control Plan.  Fee for an Agreement in Lieu of Plan permit is $50.00.

Erosion and Sediment Control Agreement in Lieu of Plan Permit