GIS is a division of the City of Salem Community Development Department. The GIS division is responsible for identifying geographic mapping and geospatial analysis needs for the City.
GIS MISSION STATEMENT
Enable the City of Salem to improve communication and decision-making to better serve the public through the use of Geographic Information Systems.
WHAT IS GIS?
GIS is a technology that links geographic information (features) with descriptive information (attributes). GIS can be described as having multiple layers of data assembled into a digital map. GIS is a dynamic service, which means that the user can interact with the map rather than just looking at it. This greatly increases its variety of uses – GIS allows the user to visualize, explore, query, edit, and analyze geographic information.
GIS OPEN DATA PORTAL
The GIS Open Data Portal is Salem's platform for exploring and downloading GIS data, discovering web applications and viewing story maps. The Salem GIS Open Data Portal contains various web maps and web applications. The web applications include on the data portal are web and mobile friendly. These include:
- Salem GIS Public Site – provides geospatial information to the community in one application.
- Subdivision Plat and Survey Map – contains links to all of the available subdivision plats linked to tax parcels.
- City Facilities & Recycling Locations – shows each City facility and recycling locations.
- Downtown Parking Locator – search for parking lots in downtown.
- Zoning Map – search zoning for each tax parcel. The zoning layer contain links to the City’s municipal code for each zoning district (with the exception of dual zones). This application also contains links to approved zoning ordinances.
- Polling Locations – search by address or by point feature to locate the correct voting location. The pop-up on the right side will show the name of the polling place, the address, election information, and the voting precinct. There is also links to the Registrar’s webpage.
- School Locator – search by address or by tax parcel number to locate the elementary school district for that location. This application also contains a link to the Salem City Schools website.
- Developable Commercial Property – search for vacant commercial property. This application also contains a link to the Economic Development Department webpage.
- Flood Zone Map – research flood zone information for City properties. This application contains flood zones, base flood elevations, and areas removed from flood zone by either LOMA or LOMR.
- Trash Collection Days – search by tax parcel or by address to find trash pickup day for that location. Also contains link to Street and General Maintenance Department webpage, information about bulk trash pickup, and holiday collection schedule.
- East Hill Cemetery – search by interred name. Also contains information about the history of the cemetery and link for purchasing a plot.
- Annexation 1927-1967 – a time lapse of Salem annexation from 1924-1967
Click on the Explore Map Apps for additional web applications and story maps:
- Bike Route Application – explore Salem’s bike route.
- Downtown Salem Through the Years – take a photo tour of Downtown Salem through the years.
- Historic North Broad St. District – tour the Virginia Department of Historic Resources approved North Broad Street District.
- Survey Benchmarks Map – this application contains location of all survey benchmark locations with links to each benchmark data sheet in pdf.
- Mutt Mitt – a map tour of Salem’s mutt mitt locations.Know where to find mutt mitt dispensers so you can clean up after your pets.
- Complexes and Athletic Fields – locations and amenities of Salem Parks and Recreation events.
- City Parks – map of Salem Parks locations and amenities.
- Planning-Zoning & Future Land Use Map – an interactive slide map comparing zoning with future land use.
- Planning Commission – an interactive map showing subject parcels for Planning Commission.This application updated monthly with the planning commission agenda.
- Salem Municipal Golf Course
- Salem’s New Waste Containers – a story map showing Salem’s new waste containers.
- Downtown 1873/Current Spyglass Map – use a spyglass to compare downtown Salem from 1873 map to current aerial photography.
- Olde Salem Days – explore Virginia’s Premier Arts and Crafts Festival.
Additional Information available on the GIS Open Data Portal:
Explore Our Data – search for downloadable data.
Real Estate Website – link to the Real Estate Assessor’s Database application.
External GIS Links – links to external GIS sites for Roanoke City, Roanoke County, DataVA, VGIN, VDoT, FEMA, USGS, and ESRI.
Data Download – link to the Open Data Site to access downloadable GIS layers, features, pdf, and Excel tables.
Click here for a site tutorial.
GIS WEB APPLICATION
The City of Salem GIS Application provides geospatial information to the community. The application offers functions that allow users to access maps and limited real estate property information using the City's GIS data. The application contains layers for tax parcels, street centerlines, flood zones, zoning, and utility locations. The application provides tools to allow users to search for data, measure distances, and print parcel information. Users can search by address, street name, or tax id number.
For detailed property search, assessments, and real estate sales data, please visit the City of Salem's Real Estate Online Database.
For questions regarding mapping and GIS data, please contact the Community Development Department.
For questions regarding real estate assessment data, please contact the Real Estate Department.
MAINTENANCE AND UPDATES
The GIS data is updated on an as-needed basis. Updates will typically occur on Friday mornings between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. The GIS site may not be available during that time.
The data available on the GIS Open Data Portal and each web application has been created from various public and private sources at different times and levels of accuracy and precision. These data should only be used for graphic representation and should not be considered as positionally accurate. This data is provided "as is" with no claim made as to its accuracy or its appropriateness to your intended use of the data. It is the responsibility of the user of these data to be aware of its limitations and to use the data in an appropriate and responsible manner. Neither the City of Salem nor its representatives shall be held responsible for any expenses, costs, damages, or injuries that arises from the use of the data as shown. These data should not be used in lieu of an actual ground survey. The City of Salem provides this information as convenience for the public, assumes no ongoing duty or obligation to provide the information, and makes no guarantee whatsoever that such information will be provided free from error and without interruption.