Formed in 1987, the Salem Hazardous Materials Team consists of a minimum of 36 personnel, with Station 3 serving as a base for the equipment – HazMat 1, a tractor trailer and HazMat 3 which pulls our Spill trailer and a Foam response trailer.
The Salem team partners with Roanoke City Fire and EMS to become the Roanoke Valley Regional Hazmat Team – contracted by the Commonwealth of Virginia. The team’s response area consists of 36 Localities as part of the Division 6 team for Virginia, one of a total of 12 regional teams in Virginia.
The team responds to incidents involving hazardous materials in transport and industrial sites. Team personnel undergo many hours of specialized training to obtain and maintain their certification for hazmat responses:
- Hazmat Operations level – 32 hours
- Hazmat Technician level – 80 hours
- Chemistry of Hazmat – 80 hours
- Advanced Tactical Control – 80 hours
- Tactical Command and Safety, Planning & Management – 40 hours
- Annual re-certification – 24 hours