1st Payment Due by Dec. 5
2nd Payment Due by June 5
Due May 31
Due March 1
Dog & Cat Licenses
Due January 31
The Treasurer’s Office is now open to the public from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
Commissioner & Treasurer Office Closed: July 1, 2021 City audit
Commissioner & Treasurer Office Closed: July 5, 2021 Independence Day (observed)
Please use the following payment options:
• Mail check to City of Salem Treasurer, P.O. Box 869, Salem VA 24153
• On-Site Drop Box: Located outside City Hall at 114 N. Broad Street
• By Phone: Call 1-888-272-9829 (enter jurisdiction code # 1035 when prompted) – Fee Applicable
• Online: CLICK HERE – Fee Applicable
We are dedicated to serving our citizens in a professional, efficient, and courteous manner, being sensitive to their needs with a commitment to exceed their expectations. We welcome your inquiries and stand ready to assist you in any way possible. We can be reached by dialing (540) 375-3024.
Danielle C. Crawford : email@example.com
Responsibilities & Duties
The legal authority for the Treasurer's duties and responsibilities is governed by the Constitution of Virginia, the Code of Virginia, Local Ordinances and charter provisions, case law, court decisions and opinions of the Attorney General.
Collection Duties include:
- Billing and collection of current real estate and personal property taxes - Real estate taxes are billed in two halves. Current personal property taxes billed annually.
- Business Licenses
- Dog/Cat Tags
- Food and Beverage (Meals)
- Transient Occupancy (Lodging)
- The Billing and collection of Delinquent Real Estate and Personal Property taxes. Delinquent billings are prepared and mailed twice a year.
- Pursuit of all other delinquent debt owed to the City of Salem.
- State Income Tax
This office is audited each year by both an outside auditing firm for the City and by the Auditor of Public Accounts for the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Treasurer's Office continues to maintain an average collection rate of better than 98 percent on delinquent taxes.