Monday, September 17
The low water bridge at Mill Lane was closed due to high water rushing downstream in the Roanoke River
Salem City School Division announces classes will be closed on Monday, September 17, due to possible flooding along the river.
At this hour, the low water bridge at Mill Lane, West Riverside Drive from Mountain Ave. to Kingsmill Dr. and East Riverside Drive from Tremont Rd. to Homestead Dr. are closed due to minor river flooding.
All roads in Salem are now open.
Sunday, September 16
Salem Fire & EMS Department opens the City's Emergency Operations Center as remnants of the storm approach the area
Salem City School Division announces classes will be on a two-hour delayed schedule on Monday, September 17.
The National Weather Service issues a Flash Flood Warning for Salem until 8:30 a.m. on Monday.
Saturday, September 15
Salem Fire & EMS Department's Swift Water Rescue Team was activated in case of a need in Salem or the region.
Friday, September 14
Florence has made landfall and there is a good chance Salem and most of SW Virginia could see heavy rain Sunday through late Monday night. Please plan ahead, so you are ready if heavy rain results in flooding!
- Clear any clogged gutters or downspouts
- Have a plan in place to get to higher ground
- Know how you will communicate with family
- Make sure you are prepared, if the power is lost
- Do not call 911 unless it is an emergency
- Do not drive around emergency barricades
- Make sure you monitor the latest conditions
- Sign-up for alerts at www.salemva.gov
- Do not drive through high water
Roanoke College announces classes are cancelled for Monday, 9/17