Basic Employment Requirements
You can qualify to become a member of the Salem Police Department if you meet these basic employment requirements:
- Applicant must be a United States Citizen
- Applicant must be at least 21 years old
- Applicant must be in sound physical and mental condition
- A high moral standard is required of all applicants and a conviction of any felony or serious misdemeanor is grounds for disqualification
- There is no minimum height or weight requirement; however, the applicant's weight must be in proportion to their height
- Applicant must possess a valid Virginia operator's license at the time of appointment
- Convictions of certain driving offenses such as driving under the influence or having minus (-) 6 driving points or more are grounds for disqualification
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D.; however, the Salem Police Department places a strong emphasis on higher education
All questions concerning basic employment requirements should be directed to the Recruitment Manager at the Salem Police Department at 540-375-3083.
Where & How to Apply
Contact the City of Salem Human Resources
114 North Broad Street
Salem, VA 24153
Office hours are 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. Applicants may also complete an online application.
The City of Salem is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.