Due to the current conditions surrounding the COVID-19 Pandemic City offices remain closed to the public at this time with limited staffing available to answer incoming phone calls. Please take a moment to read the important information below that we hope will answer some of your questions regarding your 2020 invoice. If you need to contact our office, please be aware that email will be the fastest and most proficient means of communication at this time. Email addresses have been provided above. Citizens needing to call the office may be prompted to leave a message. When leaving a message please include your name as it appears on your invoice, phone number, account number, and a detailed description of your issue. Messages will be returned as promptly as possible.
CHANGES TO BILLS:
- Have you sold a vehicle that is still listed on your invoice? Please complete the vehicle deletion form located on the Commissioner page of the City of Salem website or email our office with the vehicle make and model, title or VIN number (if available), and disposal date. All records must be updated as disposed with the DMV. Please note vehicles sold after January 15, 2020 will still show on your invoice but should be prorated. Please refer to the tax period column on your invoice to confirm the period of time you are being billed for.
- Have you purchased a vehicle that is not on your invoice? Please complete the vehicle addition form located on the Commissioner page of the City of Salem website (VA title number required) or email our office with a copy of your bill of sale or vehicle registration issued by the DMV. Please include the vehicle purchase price and use (personal or business).
- Have you moved to another locality within Virginia? Our office must receive documentation from your new locality showing the date they began taxing your vehicles. Please contact your new locality and request they email the information to email@example.com or fax to (540) 375-3048. Please note that if you moved after January 1, 2020 a prorated tax may still be due to the City of Salem. Please refer to the tax period column on your invoice to confirm if a proration has already been made on your bill.
- Have you moved to another State? Please email or fax a copy of the vehicle registration for the new state to our office. Taxes will remain due to the City of Salem as long as the vehicle holds a Virginia title.
Personal Property Vehicle Add/Delete Form: Download Form
- Mail check to City of Salem Treasurer, P.O. Box 869, Salem VA, 24153
- Drop check in Utilities payment box outside of City Hall, 114 N. Broad Street, Salem VA, 24153
- By Phone: call 1-888-272-9829 (enter jurisdiction code # 1035 when prompted) – Fee Applicable
- Online: http://treasurer.salemva.gov – Fee Applicable
2020 Personal Property Tax Due: June 30, 2020
Commissioner & Treasurer Office Closed: May 25, 2020 Memorial Day
Commissioner & Treasurer Office Closed: July 1, 2020 City audit